Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Rainy Days

After careful research and consideration, I have decided that we will remove the protective mylar coating on the playfield. The mylar is basically a clear plastic coating that helps prevent wear. Our mylar is bubbling pretty badly and needs to be replaced. The bubbling will cause extra wear and tear, as well as affect ball trajectory and game play if not replaced/removed.

We have also decided that instead of putting mylar back on, we will instead put a clear coat of lacquer on it. This is to increase the playing field's life and reduce maintenance. However, this diminishes the collecter's value of our machine slightly. But not a significant amount and would extend the life of our playfield by at least two decades. The tradeoff is well worth it in my opinion, but I welcome comments/suggestions. You could also drop me a line.

I thought I had found the replacement display for our fourth player but someone outbid me. :( I could just buy a new board, but it would have been $20 cheaper if I would have won the auction. Regardless, I am constantly seeking out new resources and the glorious internets and have learned an immense amount.

Back to the playfield, I hope to strip it completely this weekend to remove the mylar. I hope to take more pictures while we are doing it. Also, I will get to inspect the target assemblies to decide how many need to be fixed or replaced. A preliminary check shows only one to be replaced. The side rollunder spinners are showing wear on the paint. I am debating whether to retouch the paint, completely repaint by hand, or to paint the spinner black and use a decal to place the graphics. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have fun in what ever you decide to doae